Heythrop Hunt Supporter Found Guilty Of Criminal Damage
A car salesman who rides with the HEYTHROP HUNT, Thomas Edward Hastings Macfarlane of Wootton, Woodstock, Oxfordshire was found guilty of criminal damage at Banbury Magistrates court on 12th September 2012.
Whilst Hunt Monitor Mrs Judy Gilbert of High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire was observing the Heythrop hunt on 7 January 2012, Macfarlane approached the rear of her vehicle and used a sharp implement to surreptitiously cut the wall of Mrs Gilbert’s rear offside tyre, bursting it and causing it to deflate. This action effectively immobilised her, preventing her from monitoring the hunt for the rest of the day.
This is not the first time Mrs Gilbert has suffered criminal damage to her property whilst observing the Heythrop Hunt. On two previous occasions a total of four of her tyres have been deliberately destroyed.
Mrs Gilbert said, “ I am very pleased with the verdict and that at last someone has been brought to justice for an attack on my vehicle. To suffer this kind of attack is very upsetting and such abominable behaviour should not be tolerated.”
Thomas Macfarlane lives with Rebecca, Marchioness of Blandford at Wootton, Woodstock. Rebecca Brown was previously married to Charles James Spencer-Churchill, Marquess of Blandford was born on 24 November 1955. He is the son of John George Vanderbilt Henry Spencer-Churchill, 11th Duke of Marlborough owner of Blenheim Palace, Woodstock.
Following last week’s attempt by Surrey Union riders to knock people down and issue death threats, six sab groups convened for a return visit to show we will not be intimidated. The groups from South Coast, Brighton, Croydon, Chicester and Guildford descended on the Surrey Union kennels at 5 am and waited for the hunt to leave.
Surrey police who did nothing last week, decided that these actions could be classified as intimidation, unlike death threats, but we stood our ground, and no arrests were made for these dubious reasons. A single hunt supporter did drive her car at speed at saboteurs and then take photos from a distant, which was again not seen as problem by the police.
As the sun rose high in the sky it was clear that the hunt was not going to leave the kennels so all groups left.
If any hunt tries to stop our members by threats and physical violence watching their activities it is clear they are up to no good. Such hunts will receive similar treatment and find themselves with many more sabs than usual to contend with.
On Monday 14th May, at Haywards Heath Magistrates Court, 3 Crawley & Horsham Hunt members were found guilty of 5 counts of illegal hunting. 2 were fined £1,000 each and must pay £2,500 each in costs. The third, Andrew Phillis is on holiday but must attend court later for his sentencing. Rachel Holdsworth was found guilty of 2 counts of illegal hunting (18th & 25th January) and fined £500 on each count, Neil Millard (joint master) was found guilty of one count of illegal hunting on 25th January and fine £1,000 and Andrew Phillis (ex huntsman) guilty of 2 counts of illegal hunting on 18th & 25th January but not guilty of illegal hunting on February 15th. On leaving court the hunt members refused to comment but Tim Bonner from the Countryside Alliance said that they thought the expert witness, Prof Harris, had got it wrong and that the hunt was trail hunting and the kill had been accidental.
During the trial, held over 7 days at Horsham Magistrates Court, prosecution witnesses had given evidence as to how the hunt had chased foxes with hounds on several occasions at 3 locations in Sussex as well as killing a fox. An independent witness who lived close to the woods where one incident took place had given evidence that she and her husband had been walking in the woods when they saw a fox closely followed by hounds and heard the horn blown by the huntsman. Professor harris, an expert witness, had also given evidence that, in his opinion a fox hunt rather than a trail hunt was taking place.
TWO Cumbrian men have been found guilty by a Sheriff of deliberately hunting foxes and badgers on farmland near Langholm.
Ryan Lowe, 30, of Baird Road, Harraby, Carlisle, and 40-year-old Brian Sanderson, of West Lane, Shap, were also found guilty of being in possession of items capable of being used for an offence contrary to the Protection of Badgers Act.
They were found not guilty of approaching a badger sett with the dogs, disturbing entrances and causing a dog to enter the sett.
It followed a three-day trial during which the men had claimed they were only out for a walk with dogs at Effgill at Westerkirk last May.
They will be sentenced next month.
Catch up on recent press releases and news item from the Hunt Saboteurs Association
Latest news from the HSA
Browse old press releases from the Hunt Saboteurs Association and find out more about how we have saved lives and barriers we have faced.
Official HSA Press Release
Page 6 of 77