Hunt Saboteurs Association News Release 21st October 2020

On Saturday the 17th October a lone member of Glasgow Hunt Saboteurs was ambushed and attacked by members of the Lanarkshire and Renfrewshire Foxhunt.

spitting

The group had just finished a successful day sabbing the hunt, ensuring no foxes were killed, and were waiting for a pick up from their driver. On his way to pick them up the driver was blocked in by the huntsman, a paid employee of the hunt, who then got on his phone calling in thuggish hunt supporters. What followed was a violent, cowardly attack against the lone occupant of the vehicle, who is registered disabled, that resulted in injuries to the individual as well as the rear window of his car being smashed.

Ryan

Since the new huntsman arrived last season there has been a steady increase in aggression from the Lanarkshire and Renfrewshire - initially increased tension then fights to now attacking lone disabled sabs in a seemingly premeditated attack. The hunt had been gunning for a fight all day but unable to get a response from the main group of sabs decided to go after the lone driver.

smashed window

A member of Glasgow sabs said: “We were due to be picked up to go home after a successful day when a lone sab driver was deliberately blocked in by the huntsman- who could be seen on the phone just moments before hunt thugs arrived. The thugs then smashed the sabs car and violently assaulted him. Our sab was alone, is registered disabled and needs his car to get about.”

 

Lee Moon, spokesperson for the Hunt Saboteurs Association, stated: “Cowardly attacks against lone sabs is what we've come to expect from the hunting community who are only brave when they massively outnumber their opponents. The Lanarkshire and Renfrewshire Hunt can rest assured that such violence won't deter us, an attack on one of us is an attack on all and Glasgow sabs have the backing and support of all sab groups.

 

These cowardly attacks have been reported to the police but as usual we don't expect them to investigate their cronies in the hunting community.”

 

Hunt Saboteurs Association News Release 4th September 2020

 

Mark Vincent and Ian Parkinson have abandoned their appeal over the sentence they received for releasing a captive fox to be hunted by the Kimblewick Hunt.  The pair had received 12 week prison sentences, suspended for 1 year, and community service after being found guilty of keeping a fox captive and inflicting suffering upon it in breach of the Animal Welfare Act.  Both men were employed by the Kimblewick Hunt at the time of the offence on 1st January 2019.

Terrierman

 

The prosecution came about after footage was passed to the Hunt Saboteurs Association by the Covert Film Unit showing the two men releasing a captive fox to be chased and killed by the Kimblewick hunts hounds.  Their actions not only cause unnecessary harm to the fox but were also carried out to facilitate illegal hunting.

 

KimberwickFalseEarth

 

The footage was filmed on New Years Day 2019 when the hunt met at Moreton, Thame, Oxon.  It shows the hunt terrier men using draining rods to force the fox, that they’ve been holding captive, out of a drainage pipe then being thrown into the wood for hounds to chase.  The terriermen can clearly be heard communicating with the huntsman agreeing when the best time is to release the fox which is given a brief head start so that the hunt riders experience a chase rather than a quick kill.

 

Letter

 

In her summing up the judge stated that it was high level, premeditated animal cruelty that had been done to facilitate illegal acts.  In mitigation she said the two men were clearly acting under instruction from those higher up in the hunt.

 

Lee Moon, Spokesperson for the Hunt Saboteurs Association, stated: “It's amazing that Vincent and Parkinson had the gall to even consider an appeal considering the strength of the evidence against them.  It has been clear throughout this whole process that the two men were disposable lackeys for the masters of the Kimblewick Hunt, none of whom have been brought to justice for the role they played in this awful incident. In fact Mark Vincent, having served his purpose as a scapegoat for the hunt has now been disposed of and is now longer employed by the Kimblewick.

 

We still await any kind of investigation or censure by the Masters of Foxhounds Association but as we've always made quite clear, this behaviour is commonplace in hunting and the only message the MFHA will be giving it's members is – Don't get caught.

Previous releases about this story can be found here:

 

https://www.huntsabs.org.uk/index.php/92-news/press-releases/667-kimblewick-hunt-terrier-men-given-suspended-sentence-for-animal-cruelty

 

https://www.huntsabs.org.uk/index.php/92-news/press-releases/665-kimblewick-hunt-terrier-men-found-guilty-of-animal-cruelty

 

https://www.huntsabs.org.uk/index.php/92-news/press-releases/645-kimblewick-hunt-caught-on-film-hunting-captive-fox

FB IMG 1597318150379

 

On Wednesday the 12th August over 100 sabs descended on the Northern Peak District to disrupt the Glorious 12th, the traditional start of the grouse shooting season.  Appropriate social distancing measures were observed to ensure we kept ourselves and local communities safe whilst doing everything we could to disrupt the shooters.

FB IMG 1597318207450

 

After several hours scouting the Peaks it became clear that they no longer risk shooting on the 12th in this area due to the threat posed by sabs so we moved North to the Pennines where a shoot was quickly located and stopped.  Despite checking for the rest of the afternoon no other shoots were found and sabs began their, in some cases long, journeys home.

 

FB IMG 1597318211967

 

The Hunt Saboteurs Association is proud to have supported local groups with this mass shoot sab and we contributed a considerable fuel budget to enable groups to travel often long distances to attend.

 

FB IMG 1597318217531

FB IMG 1597318232805

FB IMG 1597318242772

FB IMG 1597318312891

FB IMG 1597318360970

FB IMG 1597318377105

Hunt Saboteurs Association News Release 2nd August 2020

 FB IMG 1596302935578

We're delighted to hear that both the Ystrad Taf Fechan hunt in South Wales and Mr Elliott's Harriers in Staffordshire have folded.

 

After 40 years the Ystrad Taf Fechan have had their kennels sold out from underneath them and have failed to find a viable alternative that will allow them to continue. The hunt have been targeted by South Wales Hunt Sabs in recent seasons and we're delighted they've been a significant factor in the hunts demise.

 

Details are scarce about why Mr Elliott's, a private hare hunt from Staffordshire, has folded but the information has come from multiple sources and we're confident that another hunt has bitten the dust.

 

This Is Hunting UK, the Pro-hunt Facebook page, reported on the Ystrad Taf Fechan closure and said: “In these hugely unsettling and deeply worrying times for families and businesses across the Nation, where the hell do they think they are going with this one? 

 

Rather than crowing as they are this morning that the Ystrad Taf Fechan Hunt are folding they should be giving them and all Hunts the support they need to ensure their Hounds thrive well into the future. Some hope of that!”

Lee moon, spokesperson for the Hunt Saboteurs Association, stated:  “We’d just like to confirm to the pro-hunt community that we certainly are crowing about the closure of these hunts and will continue to crow every time a hunt fails.  We have no sympathy for the people who have lost their jobs as they made their money from the suffering of animals.  Whatever excuses the Countryside Alliance come up with, the stark reality is that hunting is an outdated, cruel sport, abhorred by the majority and is quite rightly dying out in the 21st Century.  It’s just a matter of time before it’s finally consigned to the history books and listen how loudly we crow when that finally happens.”

 

We are disappointed today to find out that the CPS have decided not to press charges against the Barlow Hunt after they killed a fox on 17th December 2019. The Barlow hosted a joint meet with the North Shropshire hunt at Sydnope Hall Farm, near Matlock, Derbyshire. The hunt had visited land owned by the Chatsworth Estate and then headed towards the Holymoorside area, where hounds picked up a scent and killed a fox in Cat Hole Wood. Sabs from Sheffield, West Yorkshire and Lincoln groups were present on the day and tried to call hounds out of the woods where the fox was being chased. Unfortunately, their intervention wasn’t enough and the fox was killed by hounds. The incident was caught on film, reached national news and was handed to the police along with a statement. Sabs retrieved the body, which was taken for autopsy, but not before the hunt terrier man, Ste Reynolds, attempted to take it from sabs.

 

fox4

Members of the Barlow, huntsman Aiden Beaney and whipper in Andrew Doran, were interviewed by Derbyshire Police in connection with the incident, as well as North Shropshire huntsman Peter McColgan, who was found guilty of aiding and abetting badger sett interference in 1996 while huntsman of the Cumberland Farmers Foxhounds. Footage of the incident shows hunt staff opening a gate into a field where the hounds proceeded to pick up a scent and pursue a fox, which they killed after a 15 minute chase, during which hunt sabs tried to intervene unsuccessfully. As soon as hounds picked up the scent, hunt staff were notable by their absence, other than terrier man Ste Reynolds who was seen in the corner of the field where the fox was first sighted. Hounds then continued to chase the fox until they caught up and killed it, as shown in the graphic footage, which was published by national media. 

 

The burden of proof for a conviction under the 2004 Hunting Act is high, with the CPS requiring the quarry, hounds in cry and huntsman encouraging the hounds (or other proof of intention) all in the same shot. By allowing a pack of hounds into a field where they continued to chase a fox without being called off, surely hunt staff have shown their intentions? Firing a gun while blindfolded wouldn’t get you off a murder charge; therefore it is ridiculous that the Crown Prosecution Service treat Hunting Act offences any differently. Complaints have been made to the CPS about the outcome of the case, in the hope this may work towards a change in the legislation.

 

Lee Moon, spokesperson for the Hunt Saboteurs Association, stated: “Cases like this illustrate perfectly why hunt saboteurs exist.  Even in those rare cases where you have a police force willing to prosecute a hunt, the burden of proof is so high that cases will often stumble when they reach the CPS.  Until a time when the hunts are forced to disband, or the Hunting Act is improved considerably, hunt saboteurs will continue to be out in the fields directly intervening between the hunted animal and those who wish to pursue and kill them.  We're pleased that members of the Barlow are being treated like any other criminal gang and being issued with Community Protection Notices but the fact is that their main crime is that of fox hunting and that's what they should be prosecuted for.”

 

Recently, the Portman Hunt in Dorset escaped conviction, despite shockingly clear footage of hounds chasing a fox and being encouraged by the huntsman, and it is not dissimilar to footage which lead to the conviction of the Thurlow hunt in 2019. With a burden of proof requiring the huntsman to show intent, which almost seems to require telepathy, whilst hounds are allowed to carry on doing what they are trained to do, is it any wonder convictions under the Hunting Act are so rare? 

 

The Barlow hunt has often made the press over the last two years. With Mark Davies, husband of joint master Joan Williams, being prosecuted, but escaped conviction for assaulting sabs in 2019. Joan was also filmed attacking sabs at the Barlow’s 2020 New Year’s Day meet. Another joint master, Chris White, was caught attempting to trap and kill badgers by the Hunt Investigation Team in 2018 and a Barlow supporter was filmed spraying sabs with slurry at a meet near Ashover in 2019. Various members of hunt staff were reported to have assaulted sabs on New Year’s Day 2020, in an incident that is being investigated by the police. Most recently, the police handed eight members of the Barlow Community Protection Notices, for various incidents involving anti-social behaviour such as driving over loaded quads, trespass and assaulting peaceful demonstrators.

sab and fox