Another Saturday, another day of Hunt violence
The South Down and Eridge Fox Hunt has become increasingly aggressive over the past few years. Attacking hunt saboteurs in car parks, threatening them with knives, riding them down and employing ‘stewards’ to harass their every step. You would think they are hiding something?
On Saturday a whole new level was reached. The day started as usual with verbal abuse, quad bikes being driven at speed near people and threats of ‘home visits’. The Saboteurs persisted in following the hunt which was making little attempt to follow it’s own false trail. The day started getting heated when a hunt supporter constantly drove his vehicle in front of the sabs land rovers to impede their progress. This was followed by a number of hunt supporters following the land rovers and driving aggressively and dangerously. Near the close of the day more threats were made and clear attempts were made to start fights, which the sabs refused to react to.
New Hunt season. More violence against hunt saboteurs.
Members of the Hunt Saboteurs Association, from different groups in the South East, visited the meet of the Old Surrey, Burstow & West Kent Fox Hunt, taking place just outside Lingfield in East Sussex. Due to previous violence from this hunts Staff and supporters (who’s Huntsman has a conviction for assaulting a Hunt Saboteur in 1991) the police had been informed of the Hunt Saboteurs intentions, and were in attendance.
At around 3pm saboteurs were attempting to cross a narrow metal bridge on Environment Agency land when a supporter of the hunt took it on himself to block their passage. Other hunt supporters on foot were behind the group, and pushing forward against their backs. In the struggle the supporter pulled a female hunt saboteur over, knocking her head onto the concrete base, causing a deep bloody wound to the crown of her head.
Riders of the hunt, supported by the foot followers, proceeded to barge into the other hunt saboteurs in what seemed to be an attempt to cover up the actions of their supporter. Some saboteurs were then asked to ‘arraign it’ so that the incident was not reported to the police. It is suspected that the perpetrator has a gun licence he would be in danger of losing if convicted of violence. The incident was reported to the Police and the man was questioned. Formal statements and video evidence will be submitted to ensure a conviction.
Lee Moon, spokesperson for the Hunt Saboteurs Association said: “This is just one more violent incident in the history of the Old Surrey, Burstow & West Kent Fox Hunt, an organisation whose reason for existence is the infliction of violence. It seems that if they cannot persecute foxes then hunt saboteurs will do as second choice.”
Photographs are available on request.
Further information on Old Surrey, Burstow & West Kent Fox Hunt can be found at:
All Press enquiries:
Hunt saboteurs Association News Release 31st October 2011
Tomorrow, the 1st November, is the official start of the hunting season. For the next six months approximately 250 hunts across the country will chase and kill fox and hare in the name of sport.
The Countryside Alliance will herald the day with much hype and a variety of statistics about lack of prosecutions since the hunt ban and record numbers out hunting etc etc.
These are all designed to cloud the issue and distract the media and the public from the very simple truth. Hunters and their supporters want to chase and kill wild animals and we, the hunt saboteurs, want to save them.
Lee Moon from the Hunt saboteurs Association said “The pro-hunt lobby are happy for the hunting issue to become as confused and complicated as possible but our message is simple. The killing of wild animals for sport is wrong and we are determined to stop it. Hunt saboteurs save lives”
All press enquiries:
Page 67 of 69